Tuesday 4 February 2014

Evaluation Question: In what ways does your media product use,develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

During the creation of my media products, I have found that they have included many aspects of the used forms and conventions which are used within the music industry. Some of the key conventions for a music video is that they usually follow a specific theme depending on the genre. For example a hip hop song would use aspects of displaying money and women within their videos whilst a pop song would have a more performance or fun narrative base to them.

My music video and song choice were both based on an indie theme. The conventions of this theme are generally a song which tells a story in the lyrics. This can clearly be seen within the lyrics of my chosen song Medicine by Daughter, as it is sung as if she is having a heartfelt conversation with someone. Indie songs generally have a narrative and performance based music video, with the general performance giving the impression that “less is more”. A perfect example of this would be Daughter’s video to the song Youth, where it is a simple performance in black and white.

 My music video follows these indie forms and conventions as I took some aspects of this specific music video and used it within my own. I include both a narrative and performance based concept, with the performance being relatively simple. The performance is the main protagonist from the narrative in a dark room with a spotlight on her in black and white singing a lyric in-between the narrative story. The narrative itself corresponds with the lyrics, as I have interpreted ‘medicine’ in the form of alcohol and then drugs/tablets also at the end of the video.  This is shown during various clips such as the medium close up shot of the beer bottles as she gets up and when her boyfriend discovers the alcohol in her bag during the disruption to the narrative.

 This follows one of the concepts of Andrew Goodwin’s music video theory. His theory suggests that there is a ‘relationship between the visuals and the lyrics (either illustrative, amplifying, or contradicting). When looking at my video, I think it is possible to say that my video takes all of these into account. My video is illustrative in terms of following a similar story to the song’s lyrics by use of props and referring to a type of medicine. However this could also be seen as contradicting as the audience may have expected ‘medicine’ to be physical tablets or something in which would be used to heal people. Instead I have used the term loosely as some people could consider alcohol as a way of drowning sorrows and ‘healing’ any emotional pain people might suffer from in their lives. The video is also amplifying as the ending where the girl has the choice to either turn her life around and survive or choose to take a darker path and sadly pass away, creates a sense of realism and corresponds with the power of the lyrics.  

 
Although my video follows this concept of Goodwin’s theory, my video also challenges it. One way in which my video challenges these music video codes and concepts is by minimal (if any) voyeuristic scenes during the narrative of the female protagonist. Her clothing starts as a black dress, and although it is quite fitted to her shape, the use of camera is not used in a way which emphasises her female aspects. Most of the shots are mid shots or long shots, in which no sexually based shots are filmed. Compared to certain videos of today such as, Miley Cyrus in the video Wrecking Ball, my video is very reserved in terms of the use of any voyeurism. This would contradict the theory that women are made to wear clothing that is sexual or a video is filmed in a way that would be seen as provocative. However in indie videos, this is rarely seen, so my video still follows the codes and conventions of an indie video.

 
The use of a split screen at the end of my music video also challenges certain theorists, such as Tzvetan Todorov. He proposed that narratives start with a state of equilibrium, in which the protagonist is happy and living a ‘normal’ life, to then a disequilibrium is caused, such as an event in the narrative. This then causes a provoked response for the narrative to then return to state of equilibrium. However in my narrative, there is almost a disruption from the beginning, as the protagonist is clearly unhappy due to her facial expressions and body language. The narratives main disruption is then when she meets her boyfriend who discovers the alcohol. Yet instead of the video ending with a state of equilibrium, it could be considered to cause a further disruption as the audience are presented with a split screen in which two different endings can be seen. This leaves them to question the ending and leave them with questions such as what ending is a better choice and why she may have ever decided to take a darker path.  Thus overall challenging Todorov’s theory and the typical ‘happy ending’.

 
My digipak conforms to the forms and conventions due to its aesthetic look and what it includes in terms of information. Many digipaks contain a standard sized square shaped holder with sections to display information or images. I have stuck with using a simple 4 sided design which includes various images of my protagonist drinking from a bottle with a label inside, to an image of the same bottle hanging on a tree. On one of the sides, there is a brief bit of text which is supposed to be the artist writing to the person who bought the album and why the artist created it. This is used in many digipaks as it makes the audience feel like they have a personal link to the artist and album. The font layout and information on the digipak conforms to the forms of a digipak as the band’s name is larger than the name of the album, as more people would recognise the band name than the album name. This can be seen by the use of information on the digipak which includes the name of the band and album name, a song list on the back cover, copyright information, and a barcode. The only way in which I feel my digipak challenges the form, is by my choice of photographs on the digipak. Most indie bands will have a picture of themselves as the album cover, or a very simplistic image with very little meaning. My images are quite meaningful and include the use of high contrast and quite bold colours and so would not be stereotypical of an indie digipak.

 
This is the same for my magazine advert. I followed the conventions and forms by adding ratings from magazine, the name of the band and album name, where it can be downloaded from, and the bands website. I also used more simplistic images on my advert such as the bottles in a line for the landscape billboard advertisement, but I still added more vibrant colours and styles that you would not generally see on an indie advert. Compared to one of The XX’s magazine adverts, which mainly uses black and white, my advert is bright and easily captures the audience’s eye.   

 
Overall, I believe I have continued to both use and challenge forms and conventions with both my music video and ancillary tasks. This has enabled me to create products which capture an audience, yet are not so different from the themes and styles they know of to become too different and off-putting.   

 

 

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment